Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Radio Hawaii

Chey, Listening to Don Ho

Written 12 January, 2007

Radio Hawaii

I tuned my radio to a Hawaiian station more or less as a joke.

I mean, it’s a tropical island, right? What else to play but Hawaiian and reggae, with a little Sky FM classical thrown in to even things out?

The first time the Wurlitzer broke, I was tuned to a reggae station, and I and I was soon talking Ja and ganja and Trenchtown and Rastafarian dreadlock revolution.

This time the radio was out of order for a longer time, and it was tuned to Radio Hawaii when it went down.

Which means Radio Hawaii played non-stop for more than a week.

I can’t begin to describe how non-stop pedal steel guitar and surf sounds affect an avatar.

It was okay on day one.

I was wanting to listen to classical on day two.

I was getting irritated on day three and thinking about IMing Weedy Herbst to see what could be done to get my Wurlitzers back on line.

I didn’t mind nearly so much on day four.

On day five, I started to recognize some of the songs.

Day six saw me getting lost in the sound of the waves crashing on the shores of Maui.

Wowee!

I was getting hooked on Hawaiian!

No comments: