Monday, February 12, 2007

My Mom

Written 12 February, 2007

My Mom

Yesterday I tore myself away from Second Life and drove an hour-and-a-half through a warm and sunny Georgia day to visit my mom, who has been in a nursing home for the past month with congestive heart failure. My sister and her husband were there. Mom was lucid, and we had a good visit.

This morning my sister phoned me in tears to tell me Mom had passed away.

I realize the traditional thing to do is cry, but I cried yesterday while holding my mom's hand and talking to her, for I knew her time had come and it was only a matter of days. She had a full life and consistently maintained that she was ready to go, so I consider her passing a transition rather than an ending. She is with my father now.

SL-- and specifically, my friends here, and especially Sweetie, have been a great consolation to me. Thank you all.

5 comments:

Melissa Yeuxdoux said...

Our thoughts are with you. Please let me know if there's anything I can do.

Aimee said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I'm glad you got to see her before she died. I'm thinking about you and hoping you are okay.

Love Sorcha

Veronique Lalonde said...

My condolences on the loss of your mother, Chey. It's good you had one last chance to sit and talk and just be with her. Take good care of yourself.

Patrice Cournoyer said...

So sorry to hear about your mother, Chey. Be well, dear.

Cheyenne Palisades said...

Thank you all so much. It means a lot to hear from your firend at times like this.

I took most of the week off from work, going back on Friday mostly to get myself out of the house. I spent a lot of time in SL this week. I couldn't seem to accomplish anything, but it was healing.