Friday, May 4, 2007

The Caves at Lascaux


Written 4 May, 2007

The Caves at Lascaux

Yesterday Sweetie took me to France, to the caves at Lascaux.

From Wikipedia:

Lascaux is a complex of caves in southwestern France famous for its cave paintings. The original caves are located near the village of Montignac, in the Dordogne département. They contain some of the earliest known (Upper Paleolithic) art, dating back to somewhere between 13,000 and 15,000 BC, or as far back as 25,000 BC. They consist mostly of realistic images of large animals procreating, including aurochs, most of which are known from fossil evidence to have lived in the area at the time.

I've put up four photos, two of the actual cave in Southwest France, and two I took at virtual Lascaux. Which is which? Ah, that's the question!

It's amazing that the caves were built on only a 1024 plot-- and there were prims left over!

After only a few minutes in the caves, I took the teleport to the entrance, thinking I would start at the entrance (Sweetie had teleported me in), but I was unable to find a way inside.

Sweetie found Lascaux at www.secondseeker.com. Maybe I'll go there and get the SLURL.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been there when I was 16 (oh my, that is quite a while ago). you can't visit the actual caves anymore, but they REBUILT the whole cave, and they actually applied the same techniques the original artists applied. Last thing I heard is that now even the replica can't be visited anymore because human breath deterioates the replicated artwork. But the replica was really stunning.

- Peter Stindberg

caves of lascaux said...

Very informative post. The complex painted caves of Lascaux are located in the Dordogne region. The awe-inspiring paintings are also described as ‘the antediluvian Sistine Chapel’.1200 visitors daily visit the cave. The initial climatic situation had been re-build and maintained with the assistance of a fully-automated system. The original caves were made in 1980 called as Lascaux II.