Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lava Tube






Written 31 July and 5 August, 2008

Lava Tube

The other night I pulled a 60 x 20 meter cylinder from my inventory, applied a lava texture, twisted it in both directions, and lowered it into the long channel at Whimsy that separates Pele’s southern edge from Feminist Expedition’s island to the east. I removed lowered the land directly under it, smoothed the terrain on either side, and I could walk through it without effort. Then I twisted a couple of 7.5 x 40 meter rectangular prims to make a floor, added a few sculpties I made with the Rock Wizard to create entranceways on each end, and presto!, I had a 60-meter long underwater tunnel.

Woo hoo!

Sweetie took one look at it and began to move the prims, making for a more dramatic effect in the tunnel. Sweetie is all about drama.

Last night I walked back through, tweaking prims, adding molten lava and sound and animation effects. I added an old templedoor Sweetie had asked for,disguised the southern entrance with some seaweed, and, ta-da! The lava tube was done.

Walking through the tube is nice. The twisted prims give it uneven walls and floors, much as with sculpted prims, but without the boundary issues of sculpted prims. There are no invisible walls.

Visit the Whimsy lava tube. The ends are visible from the Whimsy red train.

1 comment:

Tycho Beresford said...

I looked up "Rock Wizard" when I saw your mention of it and it looks very cool! We had just bought a couple of megaprim rocks for our place, and when we got them home they were alot bigger than they looked in the store! I wish we had heard about the Rock Wizard sooner, but at least we do now. Thanks!