Sunday, January 4, 2009

Processor Sharing

Written 4 January, 2009

Processor Sharing

For more than a year-and-a-half now I've suspected that sims on the same processor on Linden Lab's servers affect one another-- that a high load of objects, avatars and scripts in one region will affect the other three that live on the processor.

And others have suspected it too.

But the Lindens woudn't fess up to it, and wouldn't assist those with orderly sims who asked for help because their regions had become unworkable because one of their sister sims was creating 24-hour-a-day lag with monster malls and sex clubs. The Lindens just wouldn't admit it.

So I thought it was interesting that JackLinden, in his initial announcement on openspaces, sort of admitted sims were interdependent.

And now the Lindens are talking about it openly.

SOOOO, something we resident knew and the Lindens steadfastly denied turns out to be true, now that it's expedient (now that they can use it to bolster their reasons for the raise in prices of openspaces). Now the secret is out.

What I do on my sim affects you on my sister sim. If I load my sim up, the performance of your sim will suffer.

Max Case, creator of Babbler (which might have been SL's first language translator), released a device called a Registrator-Tron, which could tell you your sim's processor-sisters. It worked last time I tried, but it didn't today. I suspect I need a new version. Max' profile says the registrator-tron can be found on the Green sim at 189, 167. I will provide an update in my next post.

2 comments:

Baron K. Wulfenbach said...

Fraulein Palisades,

I was part of some stress-testing of openspaces in friendly nations -- we were able to find a pair on the same server in two different lands. Although they shared a CPU, it took repeated tries with a substantial physics load for the remote sim, which I was observing, to react.

As a sequel, during the farewell ball in Caledon Loch Avie, I used Herr Case's then-functional page to travel to Loch Avie's three server-partners at the height of the party. When there were 54 avatars present, using danceballs and Intans, the open water sims I visited... showed no impact at all. Time dilation and frames-per-second were at the top of the range of performance.

The sharing impact seems not only more robust but more complex than what seems to be implied currently.

Yrs.,

Klaus Wulfenbach, Baron

Anonymous said...

I don't know if the registrator will work the same for openspaces... but i'll give a try. The post date for registrator site seems to be kinda old...