Sunday, October 4, 2009

Mission Accomplished


This is Chey's graduation (graduation from work to a life of travel and leisure) present to herself-- a red 1996 Gen 1 Miata roadster, purchased on eBay for $2650.00. She really did fly to West Palm Beach to pick it up and drive it back to her home in Atlanta. And Sweetie really did drive to D.C. Or did she?

Written 7 October, 2009


Mission Accomplished

For reasons too lengthy and detailed to explain here, Sweetie was unable to accompany me on my assignment.

I had been instructed to fly to West Palm Beach and pick up a 1996 Mazda Miata-- red, of course-- and drive it at 80 mph to my home in Atlanta. I was to park it, cover it, and make haste back to New York before Sweetie could get herself into any more trouble.

As it turned out, Sweetie was on the road the same day as I was. Her assignment took her to our nation's capital. We chatted on our cell phones as we drove.

"This sucks," she said when I called her back after accidentally turning off my Bluetooth while scratching my ear. "IMs are better."

"It does suck," I said, and scratched my ear again. "IMs are better."

"Why can't we just drop notecards to one another?" she asked when I phoned her back yet again.

"Well, we could if we both had iPhones," I said, "but the service is expensive."

"And so we have to put up with these primitive devices?" she asked. "What kind of name is Nokia, anyway?"

"It's Japanese, I believe," I said. "I think it means "Illegal to operate in your automobile without a hands-off device."

"Are you in a hurricane?" she asked. "I can hardly hear you for all the noise."

"No, no," I assured her. "That's just the wind blowing into the open cockpit at 80 mph."

"Sounds like a hurricane to me," she said. "I still say IMs are better. This is worse than SL voice."

Three days later, however I was lying in Sweetie's arms.

I was happy-- until I found out she hadn't really been to D.C.

No comments: