Saturday, June 5, 2010

Reporting From the Field on the BP Oil Spill: II. Seeking the Pulitzer

Written 5 June, 2010

Reporting From the Field on the BP Oil Spill.

II. Seeking the Pulitzer


/me knows a good story when she sees one. Today she is out to make reporting history, tracking down the culprits behind the recent deep sea oil leak.

My search started here, after a long rail ride across the mainland, at the SLRR station at Tuliptree.


My nose had led me here.

Yes, I smelled oil!

As the train went no further, I walked down the hill to the waterfront and found a ferry to take me to the ocean terminal at Cecropia.


It was a long ride, and the prim pilot was none too talkative.


As we docked, I noticed an iridescent sheen on the water. It came from this pipeline.


I cammed it with draw distance set high. It led out into the open ocean.


I made haste to catch the ferry to Purple, reaching it just as it was leaving.


It was another long ride. My stomach, already queasy from the first ferry, began doing flip-flops as we moved from sim to sim.


But I wasn't going to let a little thing like seasickness get in the way of a story!


Next: ANWR

No comments: