Friday, November 19, 2010

Whimsy Gets a New Teleport Sign



Written 18 November, 2010

Whimsy Gets a New Teleport Sign

Long ago I modeled the teleport sign at Whimsy's entrance after the U.S. National Parks Service's signs-- you know the ones, and if you don't, just look above.

Here's the sign:


Awhile back I made replacement icons in brass, but got frustrated and never finished. Tonight, I rallied myself and completed the job.

Here's the new sign, complete with lighting for effect:


The new sign looks better (to me, at least), and supplements the icons with the names of the various destinations.

What frustrated me upon my first attempt was Bob.

Yes, Bob again.

All the destinations worked fine, but whenever I would teleport to Bob's location, I would return to find the teleport sign a meter or so out of place, hanging in mid-air.

I tried EVERYTHING-- resetting the script, changing the vector of the destination in small ways, moving the Bob prim to the right side of the sign instead of the left, even hauling out a brand new prim-- but no matter what I tried, the Bob sign wound up out of alignment.

Sweetie tells me this is because there's a zone of protection around deities. Maybe so.

Tonight I selected an entirely new location-- further from Bob, but with him still within sight-- and it worked! Shhh, don't tell Sweetie!

No comments: