Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Internet Gods Relent

Written 10 April, 2011

The Internet Gods Relent

My internet is up after being down since Thursday evening. Comcast has given me six different stories about the failure from the fanciful (the feed from the Master's golf tournament in Augusta messed up my service) to the blameful (my equipment has failed or the wiring inside my house has gone bad). Clearly the problem was systemic, because just when it came back online I got a phone call saying it was working.

Four years ago, or even two, I would have gone nuts without access to SL for sixty hours. Strangely, although I was frustrated at every turn (couldn't check weather, look up a word, stream a film, talk to Sweetie in Skype), I managed. In fact, I got productive and cleaned out my rented storage shed, ridding it of five years of accumulated dust and trash-- of which there was considerable, since they had put a new roof on when I wasn't looking.

Still, it's great to be back.

No comments: