Friday, July 22, 2011

John31921600084123 Resident

Written 22 July, 2011

John31921600084123 Resident

Ever since the inception of display names I've been looking askance at people with the last name Resident. I'm like all UH-OH! WHO LET _THEM_ INTO THE PARTY?

Of course some people with the last name Resident have been in world for more than six months now, but my immediate assumption on seeing that last name is this: NOOB.

I could prevent this, of course, by turning on display names, but I will never, ever, not in a million years do that, not since the Linden FAQ said, in response to the question "Can I prevent other residents from using my display name?" the following:

 No, display names are not meant to be unique identifiers. Instead, if you notice that others are using a similar display name, feel free to change your own name.

Fuck that.

Clearly, the supply of unique names for new residents is fast becoming exhausted. Hence I'm seeing names like Fanboy0523 and Savvy92143 and really long names like IDontKnowWhatImDoingHere Resident.

All I'm really saying here is that since the policy change I've been looking differently-- and not favorably at residents with the last name resident. I think I'm responding to a very real class divide-- we "real" residents and those unfortunates without a last name.

New World Notes today points to this Jira, which asks Linden Lab to provide an option for a real last name. I urge my readers to click on the link and vote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, sometimes it's because when people first come into SL and are asked to provide a username they didn't expect it to be their "name", which is what the display name is for. i've been in SL for only 2 months (so, yes, am a noob), but i've been using it a couple hours every day and own a home in the azure islands, so i'm not exactly clueless.